Monday, February 22, 2010

this thing called CrossFit.

When Derek was home for R&R in November, he coerced me into a few days of Crossfit "training". **For those of you who haven't heard of this cult like training, go to crossfit.com and spend an hour navigating the site.**
Crossfit-ing with Derek was nuts. First, because i am a horrible student when he is the teacher, and secondly, because I was a tubby out-of-shape biatch, and crossfit is unforgiving. After only ONE day I had to hover to pee, I had to Frankenstein-walk all my stairs,I needed help lifting my arms. I also fell in love with this training. It felt good. I felt good. When the soreness went away,I was left with strength and stamina.
I realized first off, that I COULD do this, if I just got off my padded ass and DID it. So after Derek left, and I got up enough nerve, I joined the local Crossfit Gym here in town. It's intimidating to walk into one of these gyms. People grunt, and lift and sweat, and ALL seem sooooo "in shape". But the awesome thing about crossfit is that it can be modified to ANY level of fitness. For example, there is a 60 -something year old woman in my 10am class and she can box jump, run 800 meters and clean and jerk 45#. Can you? I cant. Not yet anyways, but this woman INSPIRES me to push myself. She's not skinny, she not trendy and shes not someone I would think of as a "crossfitter" if i saw her on the street. Bringing me kinda to the point of my whole story anyway.
I had taken a bit of a haitus- a two week semi-break- if you will. I have some sort of strange injury that has proven frustrating to figure out, and it has made lifting near impossible. So Today was my first day back to the routine. And I KILLED it. Now, I am doing a totally modified WOD(Workout of the Day), my push-ups are girl style, I do jumping pull-ups and I haven't rx'd(prescribed weight for skill)on weight yet ever. But today i DID push myself to do better.And in doing so, I also pushed a friend who is doing this with me. I THOUGHT I had set up a 15# bar with ten exra pounds, totaling 25#, but in actuality, I put in ten pound weights, totaling 35#. Now, sure, 35 pounds may seem easy peasy, but clean that shit up to your sternum, and jerk it out above your head, TWO TIMES, then do 22 push-ups, and 10 26# Kettlebell swings, and do it all again OVER AND OVER FOR 13 MINUTES. I got 5 rounds +2 clean and jerks done. For me this was a huge accomplishment, especially with my weird injury, and having taken the time off. It was also awesome to see my friend do so well, on only her 4th WOD.
Of course, I'm like any other woman out there, and I care about the scale. Why is it such a frienemy?? I have seen no WEIGHT loss whatsoever. But I have seen an increase in strength, stamina and my desire to WANT to go. Even when my knees are screaming, and I'm so sore I cant take my own sports bra off. I LOVE CrossFit. There, I said it. And I hope you, sweet reader, get to experience a kick ass WOD in the near future. Push yourself just out of your comfort zone, because once you do, its amazing how great you'll feel.

1 comment: