Sunday, February 28, 2010

Discovering a passion

The title is misleading. This isnt so much about me finding my passion as it is about me nurturing passion found.
A few days ago, Gracie watched some Ice Skating highlights, and proudly announced she wants to go to the Olympics as an Ice Skater. Now that I think of it, I think it was Johnny Weirs' black and pink ensemble that caught her attention. "Awwww, how cute", I thought and started asking her all sorts of what-if style questions about her future role as an Olympian. We played "make believe ice skater" for a while before bed and she made me promise to sign her up for lessons. I thought this would be perfect scheduling, since Ruby has been begging me for like a year to also sign her up for ice skating lessons. I started reveling in the idea of them having lessons on the same day, and how much time would be saved not shuffling them around to different activities. Both girls have been talking nonstop about it for days. Every Wednesday they ask to go to "cheap-skate" night at the local rink.I usually come up with some crappy excuse not to go. My excuses are over.
Today we went down to the rink with some friends, and for the first time I realized, this isn't just and activity. This is something they LOVE to do.And they're pretty good at it. Have you ever witnessed your kids be fearless? Its amazing. Its a perfect moment. As Mothers (and Fathers too), we strive to raise self sustaining, GOOD and DECENT humans. And to be there in a moment where your kids are passionate and free is just amazing. I had that blessed moment today, and it made me think; maybe I am raising and Olympic athlete. All those kids had were passion, determination and a parent who saw those two things and nurtured it. Do I have what it takes to be a devoted, run-me-all-over-town Ice skater mom? I don't know. I am looking forward to finding out.
Maybe this is about discovering my passion after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment