Tuesday, February 23, 2010

the deployment bed

I figured since my blog name is the Manic MILITARY wife, I should write about something military-esque. I mean, it just makes sense, right?

While on the phone with Derek this afternoon, we broached on a subject that I find so comical, yet I can really only commiserate with my other military spouse friends, because the humor is lost on those who have their loved one next to them each night. Try and follow along.

Derek has had trouble sleeping lately, which I find so hard to believe because when at home, he is usually snoring before I've gotten myself comfortable. So, aside from rude building mates and random maintenance,he really just misses being home. I on the other hand, am just the opposite. I have been sleeping like a freakin' rock. Dead to the world until my alarm goes off, most nights barely noticing one of the kids climbing in to the empty space reserved usually as "Derek's side". But it wasn't always like this, and so is the evolution of the deployment bed.

Deployment Uno - When Derek first deployed, the first time, we had spent only a few days apart EVER in our marriage. Weird right? So when he first left, I couldn't sleep to save my life. Which was unfortunate, because I was working, had an infant, a toddler and a tween. Sleep wasn't something i could afford to miss out on. It took me quite a while before I was able to get into a bedtime routine for myself. That first deployment, I read the ENTIRE Left Behind Series.That's how much i didn't
sleep. I guess I didn't move much, either, because all I had to do in the morning to make my bed, was smooth MY side. Derek's side was virtually untouched. It took about 12 seconds to pull the comforter up to the pillows, fold back and tuck. I didn't move from my safe corner of the bed. Ever.

Deployment Deux - this deployment came a little sooner than we would have liked (i guess all do)as we had barely spent 7 months living together (2 moves to make it happen)and were just getting back into the routine of co-habitating. We had only lived here in Washington a few months, and although we lived on post, it was still a transition. I didn't really know anyone, and while i felt safer, bedtime was still hard. I literally didn't go back to my room until I was about to fall asleep. this, though, was a 15 month deployment, and although I wasn't keen on sleeping alone, I developed a soft spot for the middle of the bed. Making the bed got a little more involved, but it wasn't that bad. After all, I was starting to realize how everyone else in the house enjoyed my bed.

Deployment this one - I am ALL OVER this mutha . Like, for real. I wake up with the blankets crooked, pillows on the floor. It's a crazy mess. And when the kids climb in it's worse! I sleep hard and sound. And i enjoy my space. If the kids are in here and even THINK of crossing over to "my side", it's on.I'm not nice about it, either. I sleep spread out, scrunched to the footboard, diagonal, you name it. In the morning, it takes a good 5 full minutes to get the bed in organized fashion.

So, while I am counting down the minutes until I get to lay next to my hubby again, I think I might be a little nervous about my ability to share my beautifully comfortable space. This Queen size bed is starting to seem a little snug, now that I'm imagining another adult taking up space. Hmmm... Maybe I can claim some of "Derek's side" without him noticing?

No comments:

Post a Comment