Monday, March 29, 2010

Technology

I honestly believe that technology will be to blame for the downfall of our society. I know, it sounds so very James Cameron of me, but everything is done via computer chip these days. We bank online, we bill pay online,we go to school online, we make appointments online, we do our taxes and we even communicate with loved ones online. Our pictures, recipes, phone books are all on our computers. How many of you have important documents on your hard drive? And don't get me started on my cell phone. I honestly only have one phone number in my cell phone book memorized, and i literally take it with me everywhere except the shower. When I leave the house, I check things in this order: Phone, military ID, kids. It's ridiculous how dependent I am on my cell phone, my computer and WIFI, but in my defense, its this stupid technology that keeps me connected with my constantly deployed husband. I HAVE to keep my phone by my side, as he could call me at any time, and nothing is worse than missing a chance to hear your deployed spouses voice. And I have to check my computer 75 times a day to see if he's emailed me, updated his Facebook status, or is on yahoo. So I guess in reality, technology is a wonderful thing, but when it doesn't work, the headache, heartache and plain old frustration it causes is crazy. Ever spent half a day trying to set up a network, or troubleshooting wy your computer isn't picking up the wireless signal? Or ever dropped everything to run to the cell phone store because your cell phone stopped working and you cant wait 24 hours to see if it will fix itself because you need a working cell phone NOW!!I'm almost ashamed at my addiction, and at the same time, am frustrated that I don't yet own a smartphone! I only recently got a DVR, and until this year we remained a one TV family. I know, I can hear the virtual gasp. Oh technology, I love you so, but at the end of the day, if you break, stop functioning within the realm of my knowledge, or need yet another upgrade, I am lost in a sea of panic and confusion. We can't go back to the way things were, I wouldn't even want to. But I know I want all memories back off my corrupted hard drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment